Answered By: Kathy Adams Last Updated: Oct 06, 2016 Views: 1588
Here are instructions for Word 2016.
The following instructions apply to Word 2010 and 2013.
To insert page number
- On the Insert tab, within the group Header & Footer, click thePage Number drop-down and then point to Current Position. From the Current Position sub menu, select Plain Number (see below image). Word inserts a page number at the cursor position for the first three pages.
- Subsequently, change the page number format to Roman numbers.
- Select the page number that has been inserted.
- On the Insert tab, within the group Header & Footer group, click Page Number and then navigate to Format Page Numbers.
- On the Format Page Numbers dialog box, select Romannumerals from the Number Format drop-down list.
- Word replaces the integer numbers with Roman numerals as pages i, ii and iii.
See the following image:
3. Now, place cursor at the Footer section of the fourth page. Then, on the Insert tab, within the group Header & Footer, click the Page Number drop-down and then click Current Position drop-down list and select Plain Number format. Word will insert page number starting with number.
Note: If you do not want your cover page to have the page number, do the following:
- On the Page Layout tab, in the Page Setup group, click the arrow button on the right bottom corner. The Page Setup window appears.
- Select the Different First Page check box.
- Click OK.